Alexa is a widely used tool by many marketing gurus. The problems with Alexa are:
- Alexa does not get much direct traffic and has a limited reach with their toolbar
- a small change in site visitors can represent a huge change in Alexa rating
- Alexa is biased toward webmaster traffic
- many times new webmasters are only tracking themselves visiting their own site
Why do many people promote Alexa?
- if many people who visit my site about marketing install the Alexa toolbar then my Alexa rating would go exceptionally high
- the marketers may associate their own rise in success with their increasing Alexa ranking although it happens to be more of a coincidence than a direct correlation
A lower Alexa number means a greater level of traffic, and the traffic drops off logarithmically. You can fake a good Alexa score using various techniques, but if it shows your rankings in the millions then your site likely has next to no traffic.
Although is alexa.com is used to judge ones site i believe its not fair because i see websites that have lower traffic than my site and yet alexa gives them a higher rank. When people are searching for marketing companies they use alexa to make their choices and this is crap because they wont get the right results sorry. Do a wide research on sites before you choose a company for marketing because alexa is not accurate.